Curriculum Vitae Jan., 2015
NAME: Robert David Renthal
TITLE: Professor of Biochemistry, Department of Biology, University of Texas at San Antonio
EDUCATION: 1967: A.B. (Chemistry), Princeton University; 1972: Ph.D. (Biochemistry) Columbia University
ACADEMIC POSITIONS AND EXPERIENCE :
9/87-present: Professor (Biochemistry), University of Texas at San Antonio
9/77-present: Joint Appointment, Biochemistry Dept., University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
9/95-5/98: Interim Associate Dean for Graduate Studies & Research, College of Sciences & Engineering, University of Texas at San Antonio
1/91-1/92: NIH Senior Fellow, Biochemistry Dept., University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
9/80-8/87: Associate Professor (Biochemistry), University of Texas at San Antonio
12/79-1/80: Visiting Scientist, Dept. of Biochemistry & Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco
9/75-8/80: Assistant Professor (Biochemistry), University of Texas at San Antonio
1974-75: National Research Council Post-Doctoral Fellow, NASA Ames Research Center
1972-74: National Institutes of Health Post-Doctoral Fellow, Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, Yale University
FIELDS OF RESEARCH: Insect Pheromones and Chemical Signaling; Biochemistry and Biophysics of Membrane Proteins
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS:
1968: American Chemical Society
1973: Biophysical Society
1976: American Association for the Advancement of Science
1982: American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
1997: Entomological Society of America
2005: International Union for the Study of Social Insects
1989: University of Texas at San Antonio President's
Distinguished Service Award for Research
2013: University of Texas at San Antonio Innovation of Excellence Award
1. Rupley, J.A., R. Renthal and M. Praissman, "Concentration Difference Spectra in the Dimerization of Insulin", Biochim. Biophs. Act 140, 185-187 (1967).
2. Benesch, R.E., R. Benesch, A. Bank, R. Renthal and B. Bray, "The Preparation and Properties of Pyridoxylated Hemoglobin," Proceedings of the First Inter-American Symposium on Hemoglobins, Caracas, 1969, pp. 134-142, Karger, Basel (1971).
3. Benesch, R.E., R. Benesch, R. Renthal and W. Gratzer, "Cofactor Binding and Oxygen Equilibria in Hemoglobin," Nature 234, 174-176 (1971).
4. Benesch, R.E., R. Benesch, R. Renthal and N. Maeda, "Affinity labeling of the Polyphosphate Binding Site of Hemoglobin," Biochemistry 11, 3576-3582 (1971).
5. Renthal, R., "The Interaction of Organic Phosphates with Hemoglobin," Ph.D. Thesis, Columbia University, 1972.
6. Renthal, R., A. Steinemann and L. Stryer, "The Carbohydrate Moity of Rhodopsin: Lectin Binding, Chemical Modification and Fluorescence Studies," Exp. Eye Res. 17, 511-515 (1973).
7. Renthal, R., J. Pober, A. Steinemann and L. Stryer, "Concanavalin A-Agarose in the Study of Rhodopsin and its Derivatives," in Concanavalin A as a Tool, H. Bittinger and H. Schnebli, eds., J. Wiley and Sons, Ltd., pp. 429-434 (1975).
8. Lanyi, J., R. Renthal and R. MacDonald, "Light-induced Glutamate Transport in Halobacterium halobium Envelope Vesicles. 2. Evidence that the Driving Force is a Light-Dependent Sodium Gradient," Biochemistry 15, 1603-1609 (1976).
9. Renthal, R. and J. Lanyi, "Light-induced Membrane Potential and pH Gradient in Halobacterium Halobium Cell Envelope Vesicles," Biochemistry 15, 2136-2143 (1976).
10. Renthal, R., "Apparent pK of Photolabile Proton Binding to Bacteriorhodopsin," Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 77, 155-161 (1977).
11. Renthal, R., G. Harris and R. Parrish, "Reaction of the Purple Membrane with a Carbodiimide," Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 547, 258-269 (1979).
12. Harris, G., R. Renthal, J. Tuley and N. Robinson, "Dansylation of Bacteriorhodopsin Near the Retinal Attachment Site," Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 91, 926-931 (1979).
13. Renthal, R. and B. Wallace, "Carbodiimide Inhibits the Acid-Induced Purple-to-Blue Transition of Bacteriorhodopsin," Biochim. Biophys. Acta 592, 621-625 (1980).
14. Renthal, R., N. Dawson, and L. Villarreal, "Light-Induced Reaction of Dicyclohexyl- carbodiimide with Bacteriorhodopsin," Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 101, 653-657 (1981).
15. Renthal, R., "Light-Induced Changes in H+ Binding to the Purple Membrane. Effect of pH, light, temperature and ionic strength," J. Biol. Chem. 256, 11471-11476 (1981).
16. Renthal, R. and M. Perez, "Bleaching of Purple Membrane with O-Substituted Hydroxylamines," Photochem. Photobiol., 36, 345-348 (1982).
17. Franks, R., Bodola, F., Renthal, R., and Hayashi, R., "Reversible Acid Activation of Amniotic Fluid Inactive Renin," Clinical Science 64, 481-486 (1982).
18. Renthal, R., N. Dawson, J. Tuley, and P. Horowitz, "Constraints on the Flexibility of Bacteriorhodopsin's C-terminal Tail at the Purple Membrane Surface," Biochemistry 22, 5-12 (1983).
19. Renthal, R., "A Cleavable Cross-linking Reaction for Protein Carboxyl Groups," Int. J. of Protein & Peptide Res. 22, 144-147 (1983).
20. Renthal, R. and C. Cha, "Charge Asymmetry of the Purple Membrane Measured by Uranyl Quenching of Dansyl Fluorescence." Biophys J. 45, 1001-1006 (1984).
21. Druckmann, S., R. Renthal, M. Ottolenghi and W. Stoeckenius, "The Radiolytic Reduction of the Schiff Base in Bacteriorhodopsin" Photochem. Photobiol., 40, 647-65, (1984).
22. Renthal, R., M. Cothran, B. Espinoza, K. Wall, and M. Bernard, "Light Activates the Reaction of Bacteriorhodopsin Asp-115 with Dicyclohexylcarbodiimide," Biochemistry 24, 4275-4279 (1985).
23. Franks, R., F. Bodola, R. Renthal and R. Hayashi, "Difference Between Inactive and Active Renins in Amniotic Fluid and in Control or Pregnancy Plasma," Gyn. and Obs. Inves., 20: 14-17 (1985).
24. Franks, R., F. Bodola, R. Renthal and R. Hayashi, "Kinetic Comparisons of Amniotic Fluid Inactive Renin and Renal Renin using Synthetic and Human Substrates," Biochem. Med., 36: 333-339 (1986).
25. Boyan, B., L. Swain, R. Renthal, "Proton transport by Calcifiable Proteolipids." in Cell Mediated Calcification and Matrix Vesicles, Y. Ali (ed.), Elsevier, Amsterdam, (1986).
26. Renthal, R., M. Cothran, N. Dawson, and G. Harris, "Fluorescent Labeling of Purple Membrane: Implications for Helix Connections," Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 897: 384-394 (1987).
27. Renthal, R. and A. Hollub, "A Role for Menadione in the Purple Membrane Proton Pump?" Photochem. Photobiol. 48: 219-221 (1988).
28. Renthal, R., L. Brogley and J. Vila, "Altered Protein - Chromophore Interaction in Dicyclohexylcarbodiimide - modified Purple Membrane Sheets.", Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 935: 109-114 (1988).
29. Renthal, R., "Surface Charge Density of Purple Membrane," Biophys. J. 55: 581-583 (1989).
30. Swain, L., R. Renthal, and B. Boyan, "Resolution of Ion-translocating Proteolipid Subclasses Active in Bacterial Calcification," J. Dental Res.,68:1094-1097 (1989).
31. Renthal, R. and J. Taboada, "Search for Soliton Modes in Helical Polybenzylglutamate," Physics Letters A 139:57-60(1989)
32. Renthal, R., K. Shuler and R. Regalado, "Control of Bacteriorhodopsin Color by Chloride at Low pH. Significance for the Proton Pump Mechanism," Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1016:378-384 (1990)
33. Renthal, R., C. Hannapel, A.S. Nguyen and P. Haas, "Regeneration of Bacteriorhodopsin in Mixed Micelles," Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 1030:176-171 (1990)
34. Renthal, R. and R. Regalado, "Cooperativity of the Dehydration Blue-shift of Bacteriorhodopsin," Photochem. Photobiol. 54:931-936 (1991)
35. Renthal, R., "Bacteriorhodopsin," in Molecular Mechanisms in Bioenergetics, L. Ernster, Ed., Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 75-101 (1992)
36. Helgerson, S., Dratz, E. & Renthal, R., "Evidence for beta-turns in the surface loops and alpha-I/alpha-II helices in the transmembrane regions of bacteriorhodopsin," in Structures and Functions of Retinal Proteins, J.-L. Rigaud, Ed., John Libbey Eurotext, Montrouge, pp.21-24 (1992)
37. Renthal, R., Schneider, B., Miller, M. & Luduena, R., "βIV is the major β-tubulin isotype in bovine cilia," Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton, 25:19-29 (1993)
38. Renthal, R., McMillan, K., Guerra, L., Garcia, M.N., Rangel, R. & Jen, C.-M., "Long-range effects on the retinal chromophore of bacteriorhodopsin caused by surface carboxyl group modification." Biochemistry 34:7869-7878 (1995)
39. Renthal, R., & Haas, P. "Effect of transmembrane helix packing on tryptophan and tyrosine environments in detergent-solubilized bacterio-opsin."J. Protein Chem.15:281-289 (1996)
40. Renthal, R., Chung, Y.-J., Escamilla, R., Brown, L.S., & Lanyi, J.K. "Guanidinium restores the chromophore but not rapid proton release in bacteriorhodopsin mutant R82Q." Biophys. J. 73:2711-2717 (1997)
41. Renthal, R. & Alaniz, C. "Conformational changes in bacterio-opsin on binding to retinal." Biophys. Chem.78:241-245 (1999)
42. Renthal, R., "Transmembrane and water-soluble helix bundles display reverse patterns of surface roughness." Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 263:714-717 (1999)
43. Isidoro, N., Romani, R., Velasquez, D., Renthal, R., Bin, F. & Vinson, S.B. "Antennal glands in queen and worker of the fire ant, Solenopsis invicta Buren: first report in female social Aculeata (Hymenoptera, Formicidae)" Insectes Sociaux 47: 236-240 (2000)
44. Renthal, R., Gracia, N. & Regalado, R. "Water and carboxyl group environments in the dehydration blue shift of bacteriorhodopsin." Photochem. Photobiol. 75: 714-718 (2000)
45. Renthal, R. & Velasquez, D. "Self-association of helical peptides in a lipid environment," J. Protein Chem. 21, 255-264 (2002)
46. Renthal, R., Velasquez, D., Hoog, S., Carroll, C. & Weintraub, S.T. "Analysis of antennal proteins of the red imported fire ant," Southwestern Entomologist Suppl. 25, 97-104 (2002)
47. Renthal, R., Velasquez, D., Olmos, D., Hampton, J. & Wergin, W.P. "Sensilla structures and patterns on the antenna of the red imported fire ant." Micron, 34, 405-413 (2003)
48. Nannepaga, S.J., Gawalapu, R., Velasquez, D. & Renthal, R. "Estimation of helix-helix association free energy from partial unfolding of bacterio-opsin," Biochemistry, 43, 550-559 (2004)
49. R. Renthal, "Discovering pheromones of the red imported fire ant (Solenopsis invicta Buren): A review of and proposed new target for pheromone disruption"; Journal of Agricultural and Urban Entomology, 20, 113-121 (2004)
50. K.V.P. Guntur, D. Velasquez, L. Chadwell, C.A. Carroll, S.T. Weintraub, J.A. Cassill & R. Renthal, "Apolipophorin-III-like protein expressed in the antenna of the red imported fire ant, Solenopsis invicta Buren (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) "; Archives of Insect Biochemistry and Physiology, 57, 101-110 (2004)
51. L. T. Daum, M. W. Shaw, A. I. Klimov, L. C. Canas, E. A. Macias, D. Niemeyer, J. P. Chambers, R. Renthal, S. K. Shrestha, R. P. Acharya, S. P. Huzdar, N. Rimal, K. S. Myint, and P. Gould, "Influenza A (H3N2) Outbreak, Nepal," Emerging Infectious Diseases 11, 1186-1191 (2005)
52. Valluru, N., Silva, F., Dhage, M., Rodriguez, G., Alloor, S.R. & Renthal, R. "Transmembrane helix-helix association: relative stabilities at low pH." Biochemistry, 45, 4371-4377 (2006)
53. Renthal, R. "An Unfolding Story of Helical Transmembrane Proteins." Biochemistry 45, 14559-14566 (2006)
54. Renthal, R., "Buried water molecules in helical transmembrane proteins." Protein Science 17, 293-298 (2008)
55. Renthal, R., Velasquez, D., Olmos, D. & Vinson, S.B. "Occurence of antennal glands in ants." Microscopy Research and Technique 71, 787-791 (2008)
56. González, D., Zhao, Q., McMahan, C., Velasquez, D., Haskins, W.E., Sponsel, V., Cassill, J.A. & Renthal, R. "The major antennal chemosensory protein of red imported fire ant workers." Insect Molecular Biology, 18, 395-404 (2009)
57. Renthal, R. "Helix insertion into bilayers and the evolution of membrane proteins." Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 67, 1077-1088 (2010)
58. Bauereis, B., Haskins, W.H., LeBaron, R., Renthal, R. "Proteomic Insights into the Protective Mechanisms of an In Vitro Oxidative Stress Model of Early Stage Parkinson's Disease." Neurosci. Lett. 488, 11-16 (2011)
59. González, D., Lokhande, N., Vadde, S., Zhao, Q., Cassill, J.A., Renthal, R. "Luminescence Resonance Energy Transfer in the Cytoplasm of Live Escherichia coli Cells." Biochemistry, 50, 6789-6796 (2011)
60. Renthal, R., Brancaleon, L., Peña, I., Silva, F., Chen, L.Y. "Interaction of a two-transmembrane-helix peptide with lipid bilayers and dodecyl sulfate micelles." Biophys. Chem.
159, 321-327 (2011)
61. Katti, S., Lokhande, N., González, D., Cassill, A., and Renthal, R. "Quantitative analysis of pheromone-binding protein specificity." Insect Molecular Biology 22, 31-40 (2013)
62. Lai, G., Renthal, R. "Integral membrane protein fragment recombination after transfer from nanolipoprotein particles to bicelles." Biochemistry, 52, 9405-9412 (2013)
63. Renthal, R., Li, A., Gao, X., Perez de Leon, A. "Surface polar lipids differ in male and female Phlebotomus papatasi (Diptera: Psychodidae)." J. Medical Entomology, 51, 1237-1241 (2014)
64. Lai, G., Muñoz Forti, K., Renthal, R. "Kinetics of lipid mixing between bicelles and nanolipoprotein particles." Biophys. Chem., 197, 47–52 (2015)
Renthal, R. "Method for pheromone discovery in insects," U.S. Patent 7,074,572 (2006)
Renthal, R. "Method for pheromone discovery in insects" (continuation), U.S. Patent 7,741,037 (2010)